I forgot why we decided to make pho, i think we had just wanted something different. Regardless, we were quite happy with how this Vietnamese noodle soup ended up.
Traci found that toasting the spices befre addign them to the broth added so much more flavor to the disk and made it taste more like we stopped someplace and picked up pho to-go.
A great way to make this one lower carb is to sub in shirataki noodles (aka Miracle Noodles) for the vermicelli or rice. You get to to enjoy all that flavorful broth and skip those carbs that kick you out of ketosis.
Vietnamese Noodle Soup
- 1 inch Ginger chopped into a few pieces
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 cups Stock chicken, beef, vegetable
- 1-2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 Limes cut into wedges
- 1 bunch Cilantro or Mint
- Sriracha sauce optional
- 1/4 tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Fennel Seed
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- Vermicelli Noodle or rice
- Shredded Chicken, cooked or protein of choice
- In a pot, add your choice of stock, ginger, and smashed garlic clove and bring it to a simmer over medium heat, ~10minutes.
- Separate from the stock - Combine the Chinese 5 spce, cardamom, coriander, fennel seed, and ground clove. Toast them in the toaster oven or heat in a pan over med-low heat until they are warmed and fragrant. Then add to the stock.
- Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, hoisin sauce and sugar (start with smaller amount of sugar, add to taste).
- Add the vermicelli. While it cooks, taste the broth and adjust to your liking.
- When the noodles reach al dente, add your shredded chicken, letting it heat through, then take the soup off the stove.
- Top with a squeeze of lime, some cilantro and mint, and a drizzle of sriracha