Okay, I know some of you out there despise mayonnaise. If you’re one of those people… Save yourself the time, go ahead and skip over to the next recipe now. And to spare us all from any fights, I won’t even ask which you feel tastes better – mayo or miracle whip.
So we’ve tried making mayo a few times. And uses various methods – regular blender, vitamix, bullet, immersion… We’ve had mixed results. Sometimes the result is too running and just didn’t emulsify properly into the creamy mayo we are hoping for. So once we found a recipe that worked for us, I made sure to write it down. We primarily make this in our vitamix since it lives on the counter, but an immersion blender and wide mouth mason jar should give you similar results with easier clean up.
Most important part of this recipe is to label your mayo before you put it in the fridge. Hell, use some scotch tape and sharpie marker if you need to. As easy as it is to make this mayo, you don’t want to get sick from eating old stuff that has gone bad. It should last around 2-4 weeks in your refrigerator.
- 1 whole egg
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Place the egg, vinegar, mustard and salt in the Vitamix
- Select variable switch and 1 on the dial
- Slowly turn machine on and turn dial to variable 10
- Blend for about 10 seconds then reduce speed to variable 6 or 8
- Remove the plug in the lid, and slowly pour the in olive oil into the Vitamix until gone
- Blend until thick (approx. 30 seconds)
- Mayo will last 2-4 week