Sure, Sure… This might not be a true Italian sauce. But it does make a decent substitute when you don’t have all day to simmer your ‘real’ sauce. We have made it more than a few times simple because it’s so easy. You can basically make your noodles and sauce at the same time and have a fairly quickly made dinner after coming home after work.
10 Minute Tomato Sauce
- 1 ⁄4 cup onion grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup grated onion. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add oregano and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook with stirring 3 minutes until onions begin to brown.
- Add crushed garlic. Cook 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes and sugar. Turn heat to high and cook with stirring until simmering.
- Turn heat to medium low. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in olive oil and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta.