This was our first Saint Patrick’s day with our Instant Pot, so you know exactly what we had to do… Corned Beef and Cabbage! Why don’t people make this more often then just this one day a year for everyone’s favorite drinking holiday? Can you recall ever having a bad piece of corned beef? I mean maybe you got more fat and gristle in your brisket than you would have preferred, but never a bad one – no way.
This was a pretty easy to make recipe even though it’s a two part process. Cook the beef first. Then while it’s cooling, you cook the veggies. Combine them and serve with some of that cooking sauce. Enjoy your Guinnesses and eat and drink responsibly!
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3 pound Corned Beef
- 2 cups beef broth or water
- 2 cups beer or broth or water
- 1 Sweet Onion, medium quartered
- 6 cloves Garlic crushed
Pickling Seasoning: (*skip if your brisket came with a spice packet)
- 1 teaspoon Yellow Mustard Seed
- 1 teaspoon Black Peppercorns, whole
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- .5 teaspoon Allspice, whole
- 3 Cloves, whole
- 3 Bay leaves
- .5 teaspoon Ginger, ground
- 6 carrots, medium peeled, chopped
- 6 red potatos quartered
- 1 Cabbage cut into eighths
- Add the corned beef to the Instant Pot.
- Add the quartered onion, crushed garlic, pickling spices, and the liquid. The liquid should cover the brisket. If needed add another cup of liquid. Make sure you do not go over the MAX fill line.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot and set the valve to close. Cook on High Pressure for: – 75 minutes for a 2lb brisket – 80 minutes for a 3lb brisket – 85 minutes for a 4lb brisket *If the brisket is thicker than 1.5 inches, add 5-6 minutes for every .5 inch
- When finished, let it have a NPR of 15-20 minutes before you vent it and release pressure.
- Set the cooked brisket in a deep dish or container. Transfer 1 to 1.5 cups of the liquid with it.
- Add your steamer basket into your Instant Pot to make it easier to the veggies.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Add the cabbage wedges on top of them
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot and set the valve to close.
Cook on High Pressure for 3 minutes followed by a quick release.
- Open the top and remove your veggies by carefully pulling out the steamer basket
- Cut the brisket across it’s grain into slices and serve with the vegetables.
- Strain the liquid and pour some over the brisket before serving. Store remaining brisket in the liquid in an airtight container.