We’re currently adhering to a State of Hawaii and a City of Honolulu stay-at-home order to try to limit the spread the corona virus. That means it’s the perfect time to make a hearty soup to feed us for a few days. This Instant Pot chowder is really going to hit the spot, and it pairs deliciously with some sour dough bread toast. We stocked up on all of the ingredients we would need before the order went into effect, so we wouldn’t have to run back out needlessly to the store.
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder
- Instant Pot, 6qt or larger
- 4 slices Bacon diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Onion diced
- 4-5 Red Potatoes
- 1 16oz bag Corn Kernels, frozen
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth chicken broth also works well
- 1 tsp Thyme dried
- 1 pinch Cayenee pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Fresh Chives chopped, can substitute green onion
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes, Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add garlic and onion to the Instant Pot. Cook until onions have become transparent, stirring frequently, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, corn, bacon, potatoes, thyme, cayenne pepper, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set Instant Pot to High for 10 minutes, and make sure to close the valve on top. When finished, open the quick-release valve on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and flour. Set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. Bring soup to a boil. Stir in the heavy cream mixture, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. If it is too thick, add more broth to reach desired consistancy.
- Serve ganished with chives.
This was super easy to make. It tasted fantastic, and we are looking forward to having it a few dinners. Definitely worth making if you want a hearty chowder. Some sourdough toast was the perfect thing to mop it up with.