We loved the Mississippi pot roast a lot, but sometimes it just felt heavy after eating it for a few days (meal prepping). So we talked about trying the same recipe, but using a different protein. This time we tried it using chicken. We are certainly glad we decided to try it. Because it is really tasty! I imagine that it would also make tasty version of carnitas too, but we’ll save that for another post.
This recipe makes a lot of food, which is the main reason i like it meal prepping. The chicken releases a ton of its own juices which is perfect for that au jus flavor. I like to shred the chicken then let it sit in the juices for a bit before serving so that it can absorb even more flavor.
This recipe is perfect for making a huge chicken sandwich and then dunking it in a cup of au jus. Or throw it all over a scoop of rice, or some low card miracle noodle rice, and it is still a very filling meal. This recipe is super easy and makes a TON of food. There are so many ways to incorporate the chicken into other meals.
- 3-4 lbs Chicken
- 1 package Ranch Dressing mix 1oz, dry
- 1 package Au Jus gravy mix 1oz, dry
- 1 stick Butter
- 5-10 pepperoncini peppers plus a few tablespoons juice
- Vegetables optional
- Add optional veggies to the bottom of the cooker. Carrots, onion, potato, etc...
- Place chicken in slow cooker
- Empty packages of dry Ranch dressing and Au Jus dressing on top of the roast.
- Place stick of butter on top.
- Place pepperoncini around and on top of the roast.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-3.5 hours, or on LOW for 6-7 hours.